Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Humour Me When Engulfed In Flames


David Sedaris.
His writing is funny, honest, and most times surprising.
His humour is sarcastic, auto-biographical, and self-deprecating. It is a perfect mix of sad and happy stories.

I came across David Sedaris reading a passage on David Letterman. The video below was my first exposure to his hunour, his honesty, his unashamed stories. I immediately bought all his books and began reading into his life, his stories and somehow, unbeknownst to me I found myself relating to a 52 year old writer from New York with a lisp and odd habits.

My favourite of his books would have to be Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.
Although all of his books bring a different perspective of himself. And they together as a collective reveal something hidden about the human condition. Perhaps the fact that we are all flawed perfectly.

David Sedaris reading from his latest book, When You Are Engulfed In Flames.
Try to hold back your laughter... I couldn't.
(He has this adorable lisp when he talks, this is besides the point.)


I found out soon after that he is a regular contributor of NPR - National Public Radio and This American Life. Two of my favourite listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment