Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Stories of the American Life

This American Life

Stories became important to me when I realized that they are all we are. We as people accumulate stories through our everyday interactions. And these hopefully one day will entice someone to find interest in us. Our stories are what give us depth, meaning and purpose.
Without Stories what would we have? But empty minds and routined actions.

I was on a book adventure, reading all the books I thought should be read. Mostly Augusten Burroughs, David Sedaris, and Joan Didion novels. I soon became tired of reading and wanted to hear the stories.

I began listening to this podcast a little over 2 years ago, I happened upon it one day and without knowing what to expect I heard the voice of Ira Glass, the host of the Chicago Public Radio Station. He began with a story about two people on the search for happiness. My first and soon to be favourite podcast to listen to.

The stories are first-person short fiction pieces that are touching, funny and surprising.
Each week, Ira Glass never fails to point out and reveal something hidden or so blateantly obvious about the human condition and the humanity we all seek and try to preserve.

Listen here: or subscribe to the podcast on iTunes!

Favourite podcast stories include: #75 Kindness of Strangers, #374 Somewhere Out There, #347 Matchmaker

No comments:

Post a Comment