Sunday, December 13, 2009

True Affections on Paper Television

The Blow, are a band from Portland Oregon consisting of Mikhaela Yvonne Maricich, former member of Yacht.

The Blow remind me of a combination of electronic dance beats and sparse vocals singing about torn love infidelity and fighting back (with words) that is.
I discovered their MYSPACE about a year ago.

I found the simple beats and vocals really disconcerting compared to the complex music I was listening to at the time. It grew on me, and I'm glad it did.
Sometimes I feel particularly melancholy when I put this music on
It's not complicated; they don't sing around metaphors.
Mikhaela is blunt and truthful in her lyrics. and because of this, I lean towards her music when I feel complicated and undecided.
The Blow decides for you.
Her album Paper Television came out in 2006 on K records.
My favourite tracks are "Fists Up" and "True Affections"
In "True Affections" she sings

I was out of your league
And you were 20,000 underneath the sea
Waving affections
You were out of my league
At a distance that I didn't wanna see
Wanted you nearer

Heartbreaking. I love this.
The Blow: True Affections

No comments:

Post a Comment