Monday, December 14, 2009

Music From Beirut?


Beirut a band from America started out as a solo project of Zachary Francis Condon. From Santa Fe, New Mexico, this music project developed into Beirut.
A musical ensemble combining various elements of Easter European folk and Western Alternative music

Have a listen to this blend of musical genres here.

I love their unique sounds and their album The Flying Club Cup (2007) quickly became one of my favourite albums.

I sometimes have a hard time understanding their lyrics. This may be because of the clash of musical instruments in the foreground and background that seem to overwhelm the song. Or it may be due to my inability to focus on the lyrics, I tend to lean towards the accordion/melodica sounds. I listen for this instead.
Zachary's voice is soothing, gentle, strong and fragile. I find this interesting and never boring. I find it almost unexplainable the types of emotions I feel when I listen to Beirut. It, in itself is an experiment. I remember the first time I heard this band. The song was called Nantes.
His voice seems to sing along with the accordion. It, in itself is another musical instrument.
Beautiful.
I feel melancholic yet subtle charmed emotions when I listen to Zachary's voice. The instrumentals are a clash of energy and sounds, and somewhere in this beautiful chaos of sound is Zachary's somewhat angelic voice.
His lyrics are few, and simple. This makes for a perfect blend of vocals and instruments.

If I were to describe this music in a few words. Romantic. Charming. Enlightening.

The songs have such a rich sound of new European folk. I love this.
I imagine grand polka dances in the middle of an open French cafe on cobblestone streets in 1920. This is what I think of when I listen to Beirut. Perfect.
It's refreshing and eclectic. Definitely different that other music acts out there now. Some bands compensate overly worded lyrics with complicated melodies. Beirut shows that the lyric content does not matter in quantity, but quality.

The sounds of trumpet, organ, accordion, piano, ukelele, mandolin, glockenspiel, violin, cello, tambourine, and Congo drums and Zachary's vocals all played together in perfect rhythm and unison to make the great sounds of Beirut.

Have I persuaded you to become a devoted listener yet? Have a listen and maybe you'll thank me for having insisted that you listen to Beirut.

Have a listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ali Wong

Ali Wong  Vogue Theatre May 26th, 2017 The Best.