Sunday, December 27, 2009

Peaches and Cream

Sometimes when I am posed the the question of what the music I listen to consists and sounds like.
I think of Peaches.
The daring, brave, exhibitionist, feminist, Canadian electronic musician.
I wonder if the person I am speaking to would look at me in complete confusion at Peaches, confusing her with the fruit.
"So what does her music sound like?"
... sex

Peaches whose real name Merrill Beth Nisker used to be an Elementary School Teacher and drama teacher. I can only wonder what she taught her students. Possibly the different and beautiful human body in forms and states of undress. I don't know.
All I know is that her musical career beginning in 1995 with the release of Fancypants Hoodlum, marked her territory in music.
She is daring, provocative and artistic. She has a sense of humour which I like. Somwhere mixed in with her not-so-subtle lyrics is an artist who is not holding back anything.
She is brave enough to bring up hooks, melodies and lyrics discussing sex and everything we would only whisper to each other when the lights are off. Under our covers.

In 2000 Peaches claimed her stage name and released The Teaches of Peaches. There were many valuable lessons in the 11 track album, opening with Fuck the Pain Away.

Following this was the 2003 release of Fatherfucker and Impeach My Bush in 2006.
These four albums paved the way for Peaches.
Everyone was anticipating her 2009 release of I Feel Cream.
She took a different approach with her single Talk to Me. This was more subtle and the song really surprised me. I never knew she had the ability to belt our her lyrics like how she does on Talk to Me.
Peaches - Talk To Me


The hair theme in the video, somehow would have been a little disturbing and uncomfortable. But because this is Peaches anything is expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment