Friday, September 10, 2010

It's Quiet Company: Spiders

Who: The National
Venue: Malkin Bowl
When: Sept 10, 2010

So walking into Malkin Bowl I made my way to the merchandise table. Let's say I like to keep something to remember the shows I've seen. The last two shows that I've been lucky enough attend didn't sell artist merchandise, CocoRosie and Joanna Newsom, which was a disappointment. I vowed to make stenciled shirts instead. That project probably won't happen too soon.
In any case, The National sold about 6 different designed t-shirts, a beach towel(It was tempting), vinyls, albums, tote bags, I enjoyed their selections but settled for one tee.

The Walkmen opened the show and was already playing when I arrived. They were mid-set and really reminded me of The National... hm. The same pant-suit outfit, the same sing-scream lyrics... They set a mood which kept us eager for The National to take stage.

The National took to the stage at approximately 8:30, opening with "Anyone's Ghost," Phenomenal. They played songs from Boxer, Alligator and High Violet. We all shuffled our feet, bobbed our heads, moved our arms; with our hands deep in our pockets. The outdoors venue was an interesting setting. All of us had jackets, scarves and toques on. The open space created a sort of unpleasant echo and ring that went off a few times during songs. The songs seemed to keep us warm... well for me at least. Watching Matt Berninger from the audience was brilliant. He's an artist, and somewhat awkward performer that really made us all appreciate the musicality between band members. Berninger stood on stage wringing his hands, punching the air, bending over and squirming between and during songs as if to release some sort of inner demon. It was divine, his mannerisms, I was intrigued and also taken.
My body was shaken by his deep echoing voice, I got chills.
The set included Terrible Love, Slow Show, Fake Empire, All the Wine, Secret Meeting...
In the encore they played Lemonworld, as well as Mr. November. It was a perfect way to spend my Friday.

The highlight for me:
Squalor Victoria: The last couple minutes always leave me with chills, the song builds into a great climax. Loved it.
Fact of the night: Matt also goes by "Dick Jagger" and "Panic Room."

Apologies for the fragmented thoughts. My mind is exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment