Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dance in the Rain

I have never danced in the rain.
I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, I always think I might end up with pneumonia.
Today I danced in the rain, and I loved it.

Scissor Sisters
Malkin Bowl
Outdoors
September 16, 2010
Lights and music and dance and sounds

The moment I walked into the venue with a friend we found shelter underneath the trees away from the rain. We recoiled from it, like it was a bad, bad smell. We worried about our clothes and especially our hair. We just could Not, get our hair wet. Why? Because when wet it impairs us... Let me elaborate, we both wear rimmed glasses... not only are we visually impaired enough, add a lot of blurry rain drops and now it looks like we're looking through a blurry spyglass, we see shapes and lights blurred together... sounds trippy doesn't it? Not when we're trying to catch glimpses of the members of SCISSOR SISTERS.
Jake Shears, Ana Matronic, Babydaddy and Del Marquis. They were all fabulous.

When Scissor Sisters took the stage at around 8:30 after their two openers, Sammy Jo and Casey Spooner, I quickly became soaking wet and was consistently blinded and impaired by both my hair and my misted glasses. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I shuffled my feet, moved my body and kind of - danced.
I had an amazing time dancing to their songs off of their newest album Night Work, Ta Dah and their Self-Titled.
The setlist included (In no particular order) Night Work, Any Which Way, Skin Tight, Fire With Fire, Something Like This, Skin This Cat, Nightlife, Invisible Light (all from Night Work) I Don't Feel Like Dancing, She's My Man, Kiss You Off (From Ta-Dah) Take Your Mama Out, Comfortable Numb and Filthy/Gorgeous.

The sound at Malkin Bowl was amazing, the lights and lasers really added to the atmosphere of the show. Despite the rain I kept myself warm by dancing. Jake Shears and Ana Matronic worked the stage like no other, they are true performers and Jake braved the cold rain topless for a few songs before deciding that its better to be practical than fashionable and donned a black raincoat... this although did not hide his leather leotard-type outfit he had on. I was impressed by their live vocals and was smiling from ear to ear most of the time. I love their pop-disco-dance music and hearing their songs live really made me adore them even more!

One of the best moments of the night: When Ana Matronic took off her heels and put on her "running shoes" lower heels. Brilliant.
Another highlight also included: Ana Matronic announcing that the Malkin Bowl had a serious design flaw, (the stage not being covered from the rain). Hilarious.
Also: Filthy/Gorgeous deserves a mention. It was the first song I heard from the Scissor Sisters. I immediately became hooked. Their vocals are infectious and it was almost intoxicating. Confetti, glitter and lasers galore.

Until they return to Vancouver for an (Indoor) show, I will think back fondly of their show tonight. Walking home wet, cold and shivering was absolutely worth it.
My ears are still ringing.

Wow. Check out the photos from the show here. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment