Saturday, August 28, 2010

Laughing Pains?

The title describes accurately just how I feel whenever I watch any of Margaret Cho's DVD's. I usually end up nursing my aching sides curled in the fetal position... catching my breath inbetween fits of laughter.

Having been a long time fan of Margaret Cho's work I can't describe how excited I am to be seeing her perform finally. Tonight.

Who: Margaret Cho
What: Stand Up Comedy, Laughing Fits
Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver BC
When: August 28th, 2010
Why: Why the hell Not?

I remember the first time I saw her stand up. Just a little 2 minute monologue, I don't remember much of what she talked about. I just remember seeing her, an Asian woman, who could articulate so well exactly what she meant. And I remember laughing. From that moment I immediately loved her. Her work, what she stands for...
I think, without even meaning to, I found some sort of comfort in her visibility in the media. Being a visible minority myself, Asian/female I think I immediately put myself in a box.. well Margaret kind of took me out of it, just a little bit.

Just a little video to prepare me and maybe you for her show tonight. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment