Friday, August 6, 2010

Joanna Newsom

Joanna Newsom at the Vogue Theatre, Aug 5 2010. Skot Nelson photo

Who: Joanna Newsom
Where: The Vogue Theatre, Vancouver
When: August 5th, 2010 - show at 8pm
Why: 18th Century sounding music that makes us breathless

I arrived at approximately 8, upon entry I noticed that there was very little merchandise. Vinlys and LP's I was hoping to buy a t-shirt I can wear proudly.
The opener was Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes armed with a selection of 4 guitars he sung songs with vocals healing from years of smoking abuse. His performance was interesting in its quirky-folk melodies and strong and surprising vocals.

During intermission I chatted up my neighbour (Euen/Ewen) to ease the anxiety we both felt being seated 2nd row and just meters away from Joanna.

Once Joanna set foot on stage I was blown away from her opening rendition of '81. Brilliant. I sat holding my breath throughout the songs afraid to move an inch in fear I may miss a note, a movement, a sound from her and her accompaniment. In short the show certainly was not lacking in grandeur and thus full of brilliance. Hearing the songs from Have One On Me was a treat and I think the live versions have a place in my ears for a long time to come. It was a pleasure to hear Peach Plum Pear and Inflammatory Writ from The Milk-Eyed Mender and Monkey Bear and Cosmia from Ys. Some of my favourites were played last night and I still find it difficult to put into words exactly how speechless I still feel. Go Figure.

Setlist:
'81
Have One On Me
Easy
Cosmia
Soft As Chalk
Kingfisher
Inflammatory Writ
Go Long
Good Intentions Paving Company
Monkey & Bear
Peach Plum Pear
Encore: Baby Birch

Read a Review of the show HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment