Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tegan and Sara x2

(c) jennifer picard photography www.jenniferpicard.com

I was lucky enough to have attended both of the Tegan and Sara concerts in Vancouver. January 5th and 6th have been reserved for this occasion for quite some time. Having been an avid fan of their music since So Jealous, I was anticipating great music, banter and laughter. Tegan and Sara along with Ted Gowans, Shaun Huberts and Johnny Andrews filled the beautiful Orpheum Theatre in Vancouver with almost 2 hours worth of music, banter and laughter.

Opening for them at 7:30 to a rousing clutter of applause was Astronautilis, a rapper and experimental musician. I had frequented his Myspace page a few weeks before the concert and thought his music was definitely Different. I thought he was particular and interesting. I gave him a chance and thought he had great interaction and energy. Although the Tegan and Sara fans can appear a little standoffish to new and different opening acts. I sat in my seat the first night nodding along to Andy's raps and beats. He was entertaining and seemed to suffer an intense epileptic seizure throughout his songs. I saw this as adding to his stage presence and energy. Overall I give his an A for his efforts and no lack for a better word, confidence in our unfiltered claps.

An Horse then appeared seamlessly after Andy at 8:00. I saw them first at The Rifflandia Music Festival in Victoria. They opened for Tegan and Sara at the Alix Goolden Hall, I've been an avid/casual listener of their music for a while and was happily singing along to their songs in their 40 minute set. I think their music involves great melodies and heart-wrenching lyrics. They played Listen one of my favourite tracks, the melodica made the song for me. They closed the set with a guitar-ripping, drum-intense extended version of Shoes Watch. Loved it.

Tegan and Sara then appeared at 9:00 to an Orpheum FULL of anticipating fans. APPLAUSE. I had goosebumps throughout their entire set. This happens sometimes when I feel like something special is happening. They opened with their opening track, appropriately enough. Arrow easily one of the most memorable songs exploded on stage. The synths, emphasized vocals and Feel It In My Bones-esque rhythms made me want to scream with excitement. I mostly sat in awe and felt the bass vibrating in my chest. My hair shaking on ends. This then followed my a flawless live version of Don't Rush. Sara's vocals in the bridge were the highlight for me.

Favourite moments of the concert included their verbal exchange about Candygrams, and family members.
They played Sainthood in its entirety and brought along the classics as well. So Jealous and Knife Going In were favourites.

The encore made my night: Back in Your Head, an acoustic rendition of Feel it in My Bones stunned the crowd. My jawed was unhinged and heavy. Goosebumps. Call it off was interrupted with a classic mess-up of vocal harmonies which lead to banter about a German translator describing them as "partners" and TV movie moments. Also this lead to the audience standing up and attempting to sing Call it Off along with them. Being polite Canadians we couldn't sing loud enough for us to hear our own voices. Mostly whispers.
Still amazing though. Living Room --> nostalgic.

All in all, it was a fantastic concert filled with Tegan and Sara remedies and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment