Friday, May 20, 2011

Phantogram + Fine Mist

Phantogram
Guest: Fine Mist
Venue (Nightclub)
May 20, 2011
Time: 8- 8:30pm Fine Mist, 9-10pm Phantogram (The shortest show I think I've been to)
I met up with a couple friends, Grace and Dan, just after I checked my tickets at the Venue box office. One of the bouncers who stood just outside Venue turned out to be a former classmate of mine. We had second year English together, and well it's nice to know that even Bouncers, who's job is to intimidate and keep trouble out, also enjoys discussing about why the protagonist and antagonist can never have a love relationship that can last. After meeting/staying for "drinks" at Cafe Crepe across the street on the Granville strip, we (friends of friends of friends) made our way over to see the opening act.

Fine Mist who turns out to be a really well known local act who (according to my good friend Dan) opened for Hercules and Love Affair --- (I wanted to be at that show). They are comprised of a female vocalist and male multi-instrumentalist. I don't know anything about them other than the fact that I couldn't stop smiling while watching them perform. They have this overwhelmingly adorable stage presence, both charismatic and entertaining. The crowd swayed and shuffled in what I would call enjoyment, I suppose to the catchy and synth-driven songs. After their 30 minute set, the audience began to re-shuffle, re-arrange, re-assemble and re-claim the places that they hope to occupy during the headlining act. In this case it was Phantogram.

I first saw Phantogram open for Metric in June of 2010 at the Malkin Bowl. I had never heard of them, and didn't think much about their music. The band is made up of a female synth/vocalist and a male guitarist/vocalist. Their instrumental was catchy, smooth and melodic. I remember her vocals to be "airy" and captivating... It put me in a swaying trance.

Fast forward to their first headlining show in Vancouver, and I can happily say their their performance encouraged erratic dancing, head bobbing and body swaying. It was a dance party to sweet and melodic songs [remixed] with the hammering sounds of a live drummer. The percussive element adds an entirely different dimension to the sound of Phantogram. In a live music setting the songs transform and become much larger than I could have anticipated. As a fairly new listener I think I'm hooked to their transient and synth driven songs, especially with the drumming element.
As a side note: I have to say that the lighting of the show was brilliantly done. Coloured light flooded across the musicians on stage and well added to the elevtro-rock/pop energy.

Phantogram - When I'm Small


---------------------------------------
It was my first time at Venue, and I was pleasantly surprised at the small space that holds so many club nights and concerts. I wonder -- because Venue is known as a place to come to for remixed pop songs and the like that maybe a culture of sporadically taking semi-not-so-great photos of you and your friends in such an environment is something that might not be the best activity in a live concert setting.
I don't think hundreds of blurry photos will mean much when you can't even remember why you bought tickets to see a... oh yeah, a live music show. Listen to the music, and watch the performers, enjoy the songs and experience something you can't otherwise.
Think about it, when you're at a show.. you dance, scream, clap and cheer between songs. You can't really do this in any other environment... transit / classroom / work -- people might think you're a little insane.
If in all aspects of your life you are bound by some social / moral / societal construct -- feel the obligation/need to follow the guidelines of 'ordinary'. You can 'let loose' at a live show -- you can live a little and in many ways experience what these performers you came to see live through everyday. They sing, shout, dance and play loud instruments.... if they were ordinary would you take the time to see them?
I think you would only invest your time --- if you think these artists / musicians / dancers / performers are in some way extraordinary. So why not enjoy those moments, -- and instead of taking pictures from a point + shoot camera, enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment