Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Kills Causes High Blood Pressures.

The Kills
Guests: The Entrance Band / Cold Cave
The Commodore Ballroom
May 8, 2011

I am a late Kills listener. I had been slacking, and am now a fully revived The Kills listener. It took seeing them live to fully appreciate how great their music really is. Rock music at it's best. When there are so many bands out now in the indie scene, trying to fit in somehow. A band like The Kills really proves that authentic Rock music is still very much alive and thriving.

I missed The Entrance Band, but did catch the second half of Cold Cave's performance. Without knowing much about them, they put on a high-energy set that the audience seemed to enjoy.

The Kills comprised of Allison Mosshart and Jamie Hince walked onto stage clad in all black to a sold out crowd. I think, from what my memory recalls they kicked off their set with "No Wow" a sure crowd pleaser. What I found interesting in addition to the assured hardcore fans clad in leopard print, was that ONstage, there were two stage light operators manning the lights manually. I suppose sometimes when technology can't be depended on, it's always best to do things yourself. The spotlights of colour flooded over Allison's twisting, moving body as she sang, and danced around Jamie as he stood at the edge of the stage glaring at the crowd while playing his guitar riffs. Allison's continuous whipping of her hair, as if it, itself is an instrument added to the notion that yes, they are True Rockstars.

I also met possibly the nicest audience member who took it upon himself to act as a bodyguard for me and other short audience members. From what I recall, his name is Rory, and well, if I could have him at every show where everyone else towers over me, it would make my life a lot easier.

(Notice in the video below, the leopard patterned backdrop)
The Kills - Future Starts Slow


For a MUCH better review/thought/opinion piece on the show read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment