Saturday, November 12, 2011

Wild Flag.

Wild Flag
Guests: Drew Grow and the Pastors' Wives
The Biltmore Cabaret
November 12, 2011

DAMN. That was an amazing show.
Seeing Wild Flag live probably will be the best show you could ever attend.

I had been a long time admirer of Carrie Brownstein and Janet Weiss and their other band together Sleater Kinney. Now, if you have never heard of Sleater Kinney. You should go out, learn about them, listen to them and understand that these talented musicians could teach mainstream music a few lessons.

Now together along with Mary Timony of Helium and Rebecca Cole of The Minders, they form Wild Flag, an American punk supergroup, who're on tour to support their self-titled album. (Which absolutely kicks ass.)

When Wild Flag finally took to the stage I stood mostly in awe that I was able to stand in the same room as these talented musicians. Carrie Brownstein and Mary Timony shared vocals throughout the night. Carrie high-kicked, jumped and shredded on her guitar in heeled ankle boots. All the while the stage and band members were cast in a red, and blue lights. Janet Weiss was phenomenal on drums and Mary and Rebecca all played their role in hair whipping, guitar wailing, and vocals.

They played from their self-titled album in it's entirety (I think). Each song receiving incredibly enthusiastic cheers from the crowd. 'Future Crimes,' 'Electric Band,' 'Boom,' and 'Glass Tambourine' were highlights for me. My favourites from the album.
I'm still in awe of Wild Flag.
The show was the last of their North American Tour, and I think one of the best shows I've been to.

After the show, I high-fived Janet Weiss -- and took home their album.
During the show I reflected momentarily and thought about how incredibly inspiring this band is, to me and possibly to many in the audience. I remember listening to Sleater Kinney in high school and re-inventing new meanings of the songs and applying them to myself.
Wild Flag re-invents, re-establishes, and re-news what inspiring music can be. I wholeheartedly appreciate that.


No comments:

Post a Comment