Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Unnecessary Lag Time

My friend and I went to see Owen Pallett at the Vancouver CBC Studio on March 4th. I saw an ad for the SignalFest(ival) in the Georgia Straight the week before -- it was odd how it only occupied a tiny corner all the while promoting someone (Owen Pallett) who is so internationally acclaimed. That last time he was in town I couldn't make it, and so to have had the chance to see him recently was mind-blowing.

There was no falling confetti -
There was no dancing -
There were no glowsticks in sight -

The night became a civilized performance in Studio 40 at CBC (the same place my friend and I went to see a taping of The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos).
Seated comfortably shoulder to shoulder with other eager listeners, we (I was) were all intense with quite excitement for Owen Pallett to perform.
To say the least, I was very impressed by the sounds he produced on stage. The songs came alive on stage and translated well into a live show setting.
I was captivated by how he meticulously looped songs with tedious sounding rhythms, beats and melodies. I'm sure everyone was thinking how he can create all these sounds from just his Violin, keys, and vocals.
I really enjoyed the performance.

Impressive, to say the least.



LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE CONCERT HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment