Friday, January 28, 2011

KEXP Radio, Anyone?

KEXP 90.3 Seattle is a non-profit, non-commercial, member supported station. I frequent this station from time to time, the same way I frequent the CBC Radio 3 stream.

I don't normally listen to radio, nor would I think it necessary to mention them here.
But KEXP, is an exception.
I usually avoid radio stations because they play music that I couldn't care much for...
This is not to say that I don't enjoy music.
I'm the girl who takes transit with her headphones on.
I like to put a soundtrack to my travels.
The change of scenery allows time for me to dream up and imagine a world where only the music flowing from my headphones can exist in.

The music I listen to is particular, I tend to attach myself to a few musical groups at a time.
I'm not a very good multitasker --- this can be seen in my music selection.

The reason I'm mentioning KEXP --- is because they feature studio sessions of artists I listen to, it's a pleasant surprise. It is so rare to hear these artists on Vancouver radio.
On repeat, I would play Fences, CocoRosie, The Xx, Sharon Van Ettens, and all of them are featured on KEXP, their sessions are brilliant. It's always exciting to see musicians play in a setting where there are no flashing neon lights, falling confetti and bobbing heads to block your view.
These studio sessions showcase the artists' music in its raw, stripped down form.
My favourite.

Fences - From Russia With Love (Live on KEXP)


Fences - Sadie (Live on Kexp)

(Chris Mansfield's songs from Fences are rapidly becoming one of my favourites, simple.)

Recorded 12/28/10 - Host: John Richards
Cameras: Jim Beckmann, Scott Holpainen, Shelly Corbett
Audio: Kevin Suggs - Edits: Justin Wilmore
-------------------------------------------------------
Sharon Van Etten - Peace Signs (Live on Kexp)

Recorded 11/10/10 - Host: Cheryl Waters - Engineer: Kevin Suggs
Cameras: Shelly Corbett, Justin Wilmore & Patrick Richardson Wright
Edits: Justin Wilmore
------------------------------------------------------
CocoRosie - Lemonade (Live on KEXP)


CocoRosie - Fairy Paradise (Live on KEXP)

(I've been waiting for this session to turn up -- always so great live)

Recorded 6/25/10 - Host: Cheryl Waters - Engineer: Kevin Suggs
Cameras: Jim Beckmann, Dan Torok, Justin Wilmore - Editing: Justin Wilmore

and many more sessions on their website -- Check It.

No comments:

Post a Comment