Saturday, November 6, 2010

Stars May Have Lost Their Shimmer?

Photo Credit Here
Stars
The Vogue Theatre
Nov 4, 2010

The last time I saw Stars perform were on Nov 17, 2007 at the Commodore Ballroom.
That was a great evening, the sound was mixed well, the audience was enthusiastic and the live music was enjoyable.

I expected the same type of show at the Vogue Theatre. Admittedly, I hadn't quite listened to their new album Five Ghosts to a point where I had all their lyrics memorized as with their previous release. But nonetheless I was looking forward to a good show.

A friend and I went to Guu Gardens to grab a bite to eat before the show. We saw Amy Milan and crew seated in the restaurant as well. I soon found out as the night progressed that it would be the best moment of that night. A simple sighting completely trumps the show.... let me tell you why.

Once we set foot into the theatre we decided to stand up by the stage.
Once the opener Young Galaxy began I immediately felt uncomfortable... was it just me or was the sound coming from the speakers distorted?
My body core was vibrating so extremely that I felt anxiety rise in my chest.
Usually the bass/drums would cause our clothes and selves to vibrate and move. This usually happens at any live show were the instruments and vocals were mixed well. I was expecting this.
Instead, the sound of the keys and synths created waves of nausea to set inside me.
The sound was so unfortunate and it really ruined the night for me.
I could hardly hear the vocals -- the sythns and keys were TOO loud, guitars not loud enough. I didn't think the sound was mixed well at all. I'm not an expert, but I could have used more vocals.

To add to my discomfort with the sound, the audience really did not help. One in particular thought that claiming space would, what, give them more wiggle room for their very slim body type? I would love to forget this night ever happened. I've been to enough shows to understand that concert etiquette is not hard to understand. Don't push in front of people and increasingly make a point to claim more space. What an irritating experience.

This is not to say that Stars' performance was lacking at all. Visually Torquil Campbell and Amy Milan had great stage presence. They were full of energy and were both great performers. Torquil was working up quite a sweat, needless to say it was very "rockstar" like. Amy Milan worked the stage in 4 inch heels, we later found out that she's 5 months pregnant! I had no idea, she was glowing on stage.... and that may be why. They played old songs and new had great energy, they also had an small intermission midway through their set and played 2 acoustic songs. It was magical.
It was a great show to watch and be absorbed in. Unfortunately the sound, for me anyway, really brought the night down.

Maybe if Stars were to come to perform in Vancouver again on their next leg of their tour --- I may consider going if they were to play a different venue.

(It's funny because some of my favourite concert memories were at The Vogue Theatre, Joanna Newsom - Amazing. ---- I don't know what happened this time around. Was it the venue/sound/band? --- maybe just my ears?

No comments:

Post a Comment